What a hit!! Surely, this recipe would have been great exactly as written!! My 15 yo daughter made this stuffed cabbage for the first time and I must say, it exceeded my expectations!
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
– 1/3 head(s) uncooked savoy cabbage, about 8 whole leaves
– 1/2 pound(s) uncooked 93% lean ground beef
– 1/2 cup(s) uncooked white rice
– 1/2 fl oz mineral water
– 1/4 cup(s) seasoned breadcrumbs
– 1 medium uncooked carrot(s), peeled and grated
– 1 medium uncooked onion(s), finely chopped
– 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
– 1 large egg white(s)
– 1/2 tsp table salt
– 1/4 tsp black pepper
– 2 tsp olive oil
– 29 oz canned diced tomatoes, with basil, garlic, and oregano
STEP 1 :
Wrap cabbage leaves in plastic wrap or moist paper towels and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes, until soft. Cut off the thickest; make leaves pliable and easy to fold with the white portion of the spine of each leaf and set aside.
STEP 2 :
Combine beef, rice, water, bread crumbs, carrot, onion, garlic, egg white, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; mix well.
STEP 3 :
Spoon about 1/4 cup of beef mixture onto the center of each leaf then fold up the bottom of leaf to cover the filling, tuck in sides, rolling constantly to make loose rolls. This will make rice expand during cooking so it is important not to roll them too tightly.
STEP 4 :
Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat; add rolls and sauté for 5 minutes, or until golden brown on all sides, turning frequently then add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until cooked through and please check the pot every 15 minutes and stir to prevent sticking, about 1 hour. (You can add if the sauce thickens or reduces.) Yields 2 rolls per serving.